Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My very first quilt *wow*

Maybe some people remember that I shared some  


a LONG time ago.

When I say long, I REALLY mean long! ;-)

The blocks were supposed to be for a blanket for my little boy and I actually intended to give it to him for his first birthday. 
Which was last year!
So this year when his second birthday came up I had just gotten a new sewing machine - which I had to test so I would know whether I want to keep it. And really really wanted to get this whole thing finished.

So I did!
YEAH!



Well, not quite yet. I could not quilt the blue squares yet, because some little bugger sweet boy ;-) stole and hid my blue quilting thread. 
He really seems to like all my crafty tools and material ... maybe I should just give that to him instead of a quilt ...
 
Now I gotta order new one - cause he does not tell me where he put it - to get everything done. *sigh*

Also I do not yet have a real clue how to finish the binding. I was thinking to just use bias tape - the slightly wider variety.
Can anyone tell me whether this is a really stupid idea?

To be honest, I really have no idea what I am doing here. I have read quite a bit about it ... but everone seems to do the binding differently somehow ...

*

And I wanna add a big thanks to  


Without you, I surely would have never ever even thought about making a quilt. 
So that I made this - and I am freakishly proud of myself that I did! - is pretty much thanks to you. 
I know, it is not an I-spy-quilt. But now I know I can do it. And the I-spy-squares are still waiting to be used. ;-)

6 comments:

Care said...

!!!! Your quilt is PERFECTION!! I adore each of the squares -- especially the horse and tree -- they are so CUTE!

Wow, wow, it is absolutely adorable, and I am sure your son is going to LOVE and treasure it! :o) YAY for quilts!!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

I think your quilt looks beautiful! Great job!!! I'm sure your little boy will love it.

I would use a double fold binding on the quilt - especially as it's for a little boy and it will probably get dragged around the house with him.

This was the tutorial I used, when I first learnt how to make my binding: http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2009/04/quilt-along-15-making-and-sewing-binding.html

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Good for YOU; congratulations on finishing, almost, your first quilt. It will make the boy quite happy and, after all, isn't that the purpose?
A binding is perfectly acceptable; do what makes you comfortable and to the best of your ability.

Wendy said...

It's fantastic, well done!

Papgena Made It said...

oh I love it!!!
all the squares but especially the stars, the little pint and the boat!!! Your son will love it!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Miss Muffin, - what an AMAZING quilt. Such a treasure for your little boy to love now and maybe for his kids in the future. So much work has gone into it. He's a lucky boy. That sheep is killing me! And the tractor.
What are you making him for Christmas?

Related Posts with Thumbnails